Welcome to Naples Downtown - Where the sun meets the city!
Naples Downtown is a guide to Naples, Florida downtown area including 3rd Street South, 5th Avenue South, Crayton Cove, Bayfront and Tin City. Offering historical information, trivia, photo albums, store locator maps and 360-degree PanImage tours - no plug-ins are needed.
Back in the early 30's, winter visitors were coming to Naples to enjoy the sun, the beaches and a small golf course located at the end of Fifth Avenue near the beach. It was in 1932 that Charles "Lucky" Lindbergh landed his plane in that area. Lindbergh and his wife, Ann, had a retreat in Sanibel and would drop in to pick up supplies.
Naples Downtown consisted of a few businesses located approximately 3 blocks east and west of Ninth Street South (U.S. 41), at the junction that was known as Four Corners. Ed Frank's Garage and his small strip mall, the Chamber of Commerce building, telephone company, train depot, a liquor store, gas station, dry good store, Club 41 and not too much else was located there.
Club 41 was a popular place for entertainment. It has been said that among the guests that frequented the Club were Gary Cooper, Lawrence Tibbets, Gertrude Lawrence and perhaps Gloria Swanson.
Occasionally a car would pass by Four Corners. Some were crossing the state going to Miami on the new Tamiami Trail East that had been completed in 1928. At noon you could hear the loud train whistle from the Orange Blossom Express as it arrived daily at the Depot train station just a block away. Today the Depot remains as a historical landmark of the train service that began in Naples in 1927...read more about Naples Florida »
This guide to Downtown Naples Florida has been online since 1997 providing information about 5th Avenue South, Third Street South, Crayton Cove, Tin City and Bayfront Naples Florida.
Copyright © ci-InteractiveTM All Rights Reserved
Visit us at